Alternatives to Vegan Meat | Photo credit: Pixabay
- The vegan diet prohibits the incorporation of animal products in the diet
- Animal products are an important source of protein, vitamin B12 and omega-3 fatty acids
- It is important to make up for lost nutrients with healthy food substitutes to ensure a healthy and balanced diet
New Delhi: Diet can change a person’s perspective on food because it can greatly contribute to a person’s eating habits and lifestyle. Right now, veganism isn’t just a diet, it’s a way of life. This type of diet includes the consumption of plant-based foods only and eliminates any food or ingredient of animal origin. This can include meat, seafood, and dairy products. Eliminating certain food groups from the diet altogether can be a choice, however, it can also lead to the neglect of certain essential nutrients. One way to meet the need for lost nutrients is to find an equally healthy alternative as a substitute.
Alternatives to vegan meat
Here are some alternatives to healthy vegan meat that you should include in your diet:
- Seitan: A popular vegan substitute for meat that has gained prominence in recent times is seitan. Preparing vegan foods involves removing starch by adding water to wheat flour. The result is a delicious, dense dish with a meat-like texture and consistency that can be eaten after adding a little seasoning.
- Tofu: A popular staple in Asian cuisine, tofu meat is a great substitute for conventional meat. Depending on the preparation method, a chewy meat texture can be achieved, making it a popular food among vegans. Tofu is a rich source of calcium, iron and vitamin B12, and 113g contains approximately 60 calories.
- Jackfruit: Have you heard of jackfruit meat? A popular vegan jackfruit preparation, also known as kathal, jackfruit meat has become a popular alternative to vegan meat that is appreciated and recognized around the world. This fruit is popular in parts of Southeast Asia and is a rich source of protein.
- Soy protein: If you’re looking for a high protein meat alternative for your vegan diet, you can’t and shouldn’t leave soy protein off your plate. Also known as Textured Soy Protein or Textured Vegetable Protein, this amazing food is made from soy flour and is available in chunks and nuggets.
- Mushrooms: Bite into the softness of mushrooms and you will realize how awesome vegetarian food can be. Mushrooms are beautiful, plump, high fiber mushrooms that can be added as a healthy vegan diet option. You can choose from the varieties available, just make sure it’s not poisonous.
Disclaimer: The tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or dietitian before starting a fitness program or making any changes to your diet.
Get the latest news on health, healthy eating, weight loss, yoga and fitness tips, more updates at Times Now